Friday, July 23, 2010

Blog for July 18, 2010

Today started off fairly well in Paris. We had our typical French meal. Our Typical French greetings and our typical French speaking bus driver. But something was different about today...we had free time!! And a lot of it!

Imbetween breakfast and lunch we had packed up everything and loaded into a secure room in the hotel. Then we all got on the metro rail to head to our meeting spot for today, which was the statue of saint michael in the middle of italian square. We were told to meet back at 2:30 so we could go get our stuff and get on the night train.

So I had in mind a few different things. I wanted to see the Pere lechaise cemetery, and/or the catacombs. First off because I wanted to see Jim Morrisons grave, and secondly because Mr.cole, the French teacher of the century, had recommended them.

I ended up tagging along with two people I didn't know, but they were from the other groups on the tour, so it's not like they were complete strangers, but that's pretty much how it felt. They were quite awkward and didn't like to talk...and that wasn't fun at all. But the good thing is we ended up seeing Moulin Rouge, sadly it was closed, but we stopped at the gift shop and it was awesome!

After we stopped there it was time for Pere Lechaise. I had seen countless slide show presentations in French class about this place, and I was stoked I would finally get to see it! When the subway stopped at the station to the cemetery, we got out and walked toward the entrance.

It was quite strange, the entire thing was surrounded by about a 25 foot wall that was all brick and grey. Almost like a castle, but with the sickest barbed wire ever. It wasn't even barbed wire, the top of this wall was lined with 10 inch spikes that were jagged and rusty, sure to stop anyone from grave robbing...or those people that go to cemeteries late at night that shouldn't be there...I don't know.

After we walked in we headed straight for a map...I looked for the name...and found it. James Morrison. He was marked at "CIRCLE 30". So I halfway memorized the map and headed that way. After about an hour of having no idea where I was in the cemetery, I finally saw it and the two people I was with (of whom I'm surprised kept up) were relieved. I took several pictures. The whole grave was surrounded by crowd control barriers, and also surrounded by a few of Jim's remaining fans. There were liquor bottles and beer surrounding the headstone. Many fresh roses and a few drawings and photographs of Jim, made by fans I assume. But after a little bit, we had to get back to Place d'Italie to eat lunch.

It was finally time to have a real European lunch. 3 courses and all. I tried to get Escargots, but sadly, no restaurants had them in the area the other two I was with wanted to eat. So I had duck salami as an appetizer, cow tongue and potatoes for the main course, and creme brûlée for dessert. It was really good, but the cow tongue wasn't the best meal I had. Ehhh.

I finally left the restaurant and met up with the rest of my group, who only wanted to shop, which is why I went with the other people in the first place, and talked to them for a while. Apparently, wherever they were while eating, someone felt like going to the bathroom right behind them. In the restaurant. The French are very unpredictable. Haha.

So we got back to the hotel after Stuart (tour guide) met up with us and took us down to the hotel, we got our things, and headed to the train station for my first experience with "the night train". And incase you're wondering, yes, it's a train that travels only at night.

It reminded me a lot of the train in the Harry potter movies. The set up was very similar to that at least. We had 6 people in an 8 by 7 foot room. 3 beds or chairs on either side, depending on your mood. But of course the food car was 20 cars from us. Which was a long walk...so I only made it down once before passing out in the bed for the night.

So that was my July 18th and so far I've been asked about 70000000 times "what's your favorite place so far?!" and I can't tell you people enough, it's all very nice. Europe has been one of the best experiences ever. So yeah. That's my answer.

I'm also kinda in suspense to see how many texts/phonemessages I get when I turn texting back on once I get back in the states. I don't know why that's so interesting to me...but whatever.

There isn't wifi anywhere, I'm on the bus to Rome right now (yes I'm late in writing this, but gimme a break, ive been dipped into every cultural staple of Europe in less than 2 weeks. I get tired at night and don't always finish the blog.) and maybe they will have wifi in that hotel. Hopefully.

Anyway, I guess that's it for July 18th. Ciao!

Matt Wofford

No comments: