Friday, July 16, 2010

London!

Blog for July 15th, 2010:

Whenever I embark on a trip, I usually know if I'll have a good time or not depending on the amount of water surrounding the location...seeing as Europe is a peninsula and Great Britain (where we are now) is a huge island with a lovely little river running through it, it promised to be a blast...but that was not the case. The amount of joy and excitement I have received from London has absolutely and in every way turned my expectations into rubble that would compare to the amount left by the great London fire in 1066. This trip has totally blown my mind and it's only the second day.

Today when we woke up, we headed down for breakfast, which was a bit strange. They use a different type of sausage and they actually fry eggs in hot oil rather than just cheat and do it sunny side up like us. I got to try marmite for the first (and last) time. It was absolutely disgusting and will never be going into my mouth again. The toast here is very good, and the tube service (Aka London Underground) is brilliant. Watch out blocking and cutting in the queue. It's bad form.

After breakfast we headed off to our first official tour of London. We had a giant Mercedes Benz bus and it was pretty cool. We stopped at several places, my favorite probably being the Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guards. It was shortly after that I found a post box, and my first batch of postcards went on their way.

We later ventured to the Tower of London and heard many interesting things about Torture and execution. We also got to see all the crowned jewels of England, and even one of India. The largest diamond in the world, at a measurement of 530.2 karats, is also housed in the tower of london, guarded by two armed guards. The same guards, infact, from the Palace earlier that day.

At the end of the night, we had dinner at some British food place (really Indian food, but it's so much assimilated into their society, they call it British) and then went to my favourite activity of the night...the show!

We went to see "Blood Brothers" at the recommendation of our guide, Stu. It was an excellent excellent amazing wonderful all out awesome production. The acting was good an the cast wasn't super huge, but it was great.

After the show, we headed out to the hotel and packed up for the night...my roomates and I stayed up til about 2 playing cards and stuff, not planning on sleeping due to we have to get up at 5am tomorrow....but a hotel worker came up and told us to quiet down because apparently the sound of mild laughing and card playing was too much for the other group next door.

Well, time to go...Paris tomorrow and it will rock!

Peace
Matt Wofford

No comments: