Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lighting Designer:

The role of the lighting designer (or LD) within theatre is to work with the director, set designer, costume designer, and sometimes the sound designer and choreographer to create an overall 'look' for the show in response to the text, while keeping in mind issues of visibility, safety and cost.
Testing out a few different color/angle mixes. That's me.
-Wikipedia 

I think they forgot later that the job also includes not getting paid until people feel like it. I'm about to be on the phone again with an administrator with the school district. Why would I call her, you ask? Well, it turns out, if I want the 200 dollars I deserve, then I actually have to put forth phone calls, that later on, the bill would equal just about 200 dollars. It's ridiculous, and forgive me for bitching, but seriously! It's been almost a month now, and I still haven't gotten compensation for that program, which I thought was one of my best shows! It seems that with every show I design for, I end up getting better. Who'd a thunk it?! I'll put various pictures from that show up when I get them, but a few can go around now of the design process and stuff like that.

Ben practicing piano; Pancho, Oscar and Mike discussing
the com system; and me taking pictures. Yep. 
I just recently got hired on to do another lighting gig, one for the school district, again. So lets hope the financial side of things gets sorted out a little bit better now. Even though I would sell myself short and do all this stuff for free, getting money is a nice perk and I kinda need to get used to being paid for this stuff since I'm not a student anymore. And I need to learn to "get mad", as my dad puts it, when I don't receive any money for the things I do. In fact, I'm not the only one suffering through this financial torrent of crap, Oscar's right there with me. So I think today, I might call him and we will actually go up to the ad building and get shit done!

Martin 250 Wash.
Rigging up lights. 
The other show I did was put on by Dana's Dance Academy. I had to leave the warmth of the Jack Singley Academy to do it, but it was pretty fun getting to test out a new space and try to make intelligent lighting work for it. I will be happy to be at the Academy for the next gig I'm doing, which I'm told is basically just a celebration for the new Superintendent. I hope they enjoy it, because I'm gonna work my butt off! I might have to install some new trussing over a satellite stage just because they planned to have the band (M5) off to the side. Which I have no idea how they plan on putting an entire band on like, 30 square feet of stage, but let's get this done! (I'm secretly hoping they switch it out to the main stage, but eh, Irving's stubborn)

So here I am, on a nice Wednesday morning, awaiting the day to take over. I need to send out some emails regarding my upcoming Eagle Court of Honor, clean up my room a little bit, and then I have work at 5:30pm. But I also need to eat, and we just ran out of microwave pizzas, so it looks like I'll be having eggrolls...or CocaCola. I'll decide later.

As for now, I hope your day will prove to be awesome! good bye for now!
Matt Wofford

No comments: