Monday, April 1, 2013

I want to do so much.

So much for this Day by Day thing. It's been 6 and a half years about since I've started this blog and I only have like 40 posts to show for it, if that. Unfortunately, life gets busy and we forget the simpler things, such as blogging. I used to do it a lot in my spare time, but it seems ever since I've gone to college I haven't had much time for it.

I'll try to keep this short, but you all know how I can be. So, since it's been a few years since I've shown my face on here, let me try to update you with some of the things that have gone on. My Freshman, Sophomore and first half of Junior year have gone pretty well here at TCU. If you don't know, I'm a theatre major going for a BFA in Theatre Design. Since I've been at TCU I've worked on over 30 shows (not only on campus, but professional off campus projects as well) and it's been quite a ride. I've done productions at Dallas Theatre Center, something I thought would only be achievable after several years of honing your theatrical skills, which was one of the first goals I had set for myself upon starting my career in the theatre. Another weird thing, the "girl in my english class" I mention in my very very first blog I am now quite pleased to call my girlfriend. At this point, we've been dating for just about a year (this month actually) and we've had our ups and downs, but we too are gaining experience and know how into what it takes to being a mature couple.

Currently, I'm working as one of the Master Electricians for TCU's big musical No No, Nanette! and so far its going well. Our big project for this show has to do with upwards of 50 different lights solely to be used in concert with the scenery, so that's getting there. I am also working as the lighting designer for a dance piece at TCU called L'dor V'dor which goes into tech tomorrow night. Well, technically they are in tech tonight as well, but my piece doesn't tech until tomorrow. Anyway, so tomorrow afternoon will consist of writing cues and fixing up the projections for that. I recently opened (and closed) Oliver! The Musical at a Colleyville school, which was one of my very first professional musical gigs (although, since it was with a school I'm not sure if I want that to be considered my first professional musical). That was actually a lot of fun getting to put everything (and much much more) I've learned at TCU to use and I had a lot of help from my friends putting that together, which was great fun as well.

Tonight, I also rode my bicycle for the first time from my apartment to TCU, and while it is only a two mile ride, the entire way is on an incline (because I have to go to a school on a mountain apparently) it put my biking muscles to the test, and when I arrived, I promptly sat and drank water for about an hour. This wasn't the best idea, because all my muscles had tightened up a lot a whole bunch when I sat and it was difficult getting them going again. Thankfully, one of my friends offered me a ride home and I was able to stuff my bike into this friend's tiny car and make it home.

I apologize if my writing seems choppy, it's been a while since I've done this and I would really like to get into the groove again. It's great therapy and helps me think through things a lot.

At this point in my life, I'm trying to figure out what's next. What should happen in the future? How will I find work? Should I go to grad school? I also am having this crazy feeling that I need to move on, or at least pick up a new hobby, and learn how to build and repair motorcycles. I've been interested in motorcycling ever since I was 10 or 11, I even rode a little bit on my father's old Honda XR-75, but I never continued it. It's one of those things where I think "what if I could have kept going?". As for that, who knows. I'm trying to get money together to buy a used bike and get back to it again, but it's so difficult choosing where my path should lie pertaining to theatre and future. I wish I could just throw my hands up and wait for it to happen, but I know doing something like that when the economy is in this state would maybe help my pride, but my bank account would suffer greatly.

I'll try to get back and talk this all through, but this may be the last time for another 3 years. Who knows. I hope you all are doing well in your life, have a great week!

No comments: